Thursday, March 20, 2008

Last day of interning, first day of spring

What a happy coincidence.

I realized this after I finished my last daily cycle of hole punching, dating and filing the duplicated colored-coded grammar sheets (at the behest of my boss, natch). And with that I was officially done being an indentured servant for the next foreseeable future. Next time I whine about something job-related at least I'll be receiving some hush money for my troubles. And I'll have lots of degrees and fancy certificates and shit. And I won't be living anywhere near 128.

It's amazing how easy it is to fall into the behavioral patterns of suburbanites. That's not a judgment at all, it really is damn easy. Within a month after I moved to MetroWest for the internship I had bought a Jeep with a Red Sox flag on the antenna, began bi-weekly Starbucks trips and daily Vh1 viewings. Most of what I ate was frozen and out of a box and for fun I would drive into the city, get drunk, make poor decisions and drive back out. Straight bridge and tunnel (Mass.-style).

But, it wasn't all bad. I got to live out the lyrics to "Roadrunner."

one two three four five six

Roadrunner, roadrunner
Going faster miles an hour
Gonna drive past the Stop 'n' Shop
With the radio on

I'm in love with Massachusetts
And the neon when it's cold outside
And the highway when it's late at night
Got the radio on
I'm like the roadrunner

Alright
I'm in love with modern moonlight
128 when it's dark outside
I'm in love with Massachusetts
I'm in love with the radio on
It helps me from being alone late at night
It helps me from being lonely late at night
I don't feel so bad now in the car
Don't feel so alone, got the radio on
Like the roadrunner
That's right

...

Yep, totally went to that Stop and Shop. And, I really am in love with Massachusetts. I like that the first day of spring is a big deal.

No comments: