Saturday, March 17, 2007

Nubile Serbian Gypsies


It's obvious from my last glowing post about teaching that I am thoroughly enjoying myself. Even though its a far cry from anything I have experience with*, I have surprisingly adapted to a life of mid-calf length skirts and discussions of last night's "Heroes". However, as anyone who has talked to me for a half hour will tell you, I am only able to be happy for so long before I start deconstructing it to death and then questioning that it ever existed in the first place.

Last week my dad called me to regale me with tales of cavorting with nubile gypsies on a river bank somewhere in Serbia. This is what comes with being an "artist". Want to know what comes with being a teacher? Middle age women in wool sweaters with gold deer pins recommending The Secret while you watch fifth-graders play an unimpressive game of Freeze Tag.

Working for the few media sources I did, I was exposed to hundreds of pseudo-artist types like my dad. (Sorry, dad.) Even with all the bullshit that came with being in their presence, the conversation was always lively and their film recommendations were always reliable. I'd be lying if I said I don't miss the company of grown men in kids' size clothing talking to me about Cassavetes.

This is not to say that I don't think the teaching field is for me. I feel more confident doing this work than anything else. It is providing a service that can be seen and measured and, most importantly, is necessary. And, unlike the world I left behind, I am in a place where you can't fake it. You can either do the job or you can't and you only get credit when you can. And, I have learned how to maintain "professional relationships" with people which means it doesn't matter to them if I like Devendra Banhart or not.

I just wish I knew some Serbian gypsies who were working towards a Masters.

*A truncated list of previous jobs: assistant in a toothbrush recycling office, ice-cream scooper, caterer, runner for a concert promoter (I bought white asparagus for Metallica!), nude model, Christmas ornament decorator, tour guide

No comments: